Saturday 29 June 2013

Week 26 of the photo a day challenge

The theme this week was "Out of Place" things where you wouldn't expect to see them, things where they shouldn't be or simply the odd one out in a group of things. I'd been worrying about this theme for a while because I knew it was going to take some imagination and I'm so busy with work at the minute that I'm struggling to be imaginative. However I spotted a few things around the house on the Saturday that were out of place thanks to having a puppy and two kids, I realise things often end up where they are not supposed to be!

For the first time ever I was actually excited to see Emily's shoe in the middle of the kitchen floor when I got up on Sunday morning! I'm not sure if Emily left it there or if the puppy has been playing with it but instead of telling either of them off, I ran to get Mr Nikon before one of them moved it.




Monday is my working from home day, when I got back from the school run I spotted this half eaten apple nestled in the clean washing! Now I know this was one of the kids........ But which one I wonder?



I took Tuesday shot on Monday night, I was just getting ready to get in the bath when I saw this in my eye line. My partner must have left it there. So I grabbed my iPhone and lined up the shot, I was trying to make it look like the can was coming out of the tap




I have to admit I wasn't really feeling the love for this theme by this point in the week. I had enjoyed the previous few weeks so much (children, landscapes and people) that this week was feeling a bit of a let down. Some of us talked about it in the group and I decided to look to the streets again for inspiration.

As a result Wednesday's shot was this rather odd crocheted bike I found in the middle of Barnsley town centre



This dapper looking chap got on my train on the way home on Thursday. It took a while to get a half decent photo though as there were people stood in between me and him most of the way home. This was the best I could do. He looked a bit out of place on a train full of commuters at 5pm.



On Friday morning, I sat down at the bus station, looked up and saw this stack of buckets and used flowerpots abandoned next to the seats. I guess someone was intending to take them home and forgot them when the bus got here!



For Saturday, I used a shot I'd taken earlier in the week. Partly because I really liked it but had already posted a picture that particular day and partly because we were out for the day visiting family and I wasn't sure I'd get the opportunity to get another one. Plus I also wanted to start thinking about next week's theme. So my final out of place picture was someone wearing a thick woolly hat, in June, on a really warm and sunny day - apparently it's the fashion and he must have been a really trendy lad, if a bit warm, I hope he didn't overheat under that glass roof.



So I ended up not hating the theme, but it certainly wasn't one of my favourites. I think I've definitely discovered what my preferred area of photography is. It's people - street photography, the urban landscape, the way people interact and leave their mark on the environment.

I'm looking forward to portrait week!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment