Sunday 9 June 2013

Week 16 of the photo a day challenge

The theme this week was 'Fruit and Veg' but it almost wasn't as the challenge organiser was so impressed with our numbers photos she thought a food theme would be too boring. She let us vote between Fruit and Veg, shadows and silhouettes and something else (can't remember what now). Shadows and silhouettes was popular but Fruit and Veg just pipped it. So to encourage us to keep up the good work and keep being creative the brief was to act like a green grocer and take photos of our wares to use in a catalogue or advert. The focus should be a single fruit or vegetable and props could be used to enhance the shot if necessary - like a bowl of apples and we were allowed just one shot with multiple fruit and/or veg in.

So after a bit of a discussion in the group and googling images of fruit and vegetables I decided to build a light box and still armed with just my iPhone I managed to get some stunning shots. More on the light box in another post though.

I'm also lucky enough to get a veg box from Abel and Cole every week so we had plenty of veg to choose from.

Day 104 - peppers in the light box then edited in pixlr to create a canvas effect. See the unedited photo in my post on the light box itself.



Day 105 - Kohl Rabi, taken on a black granite placemat in front of a black curtain in the dark with just a bright fluorescent lamp at the front left, a technique known as 'low key' (black background and single light source)



Day 106 - An orange quarter taken in the light box with a vignette added in pixlr



Day 107 - A watermelon, taken in the light box. As I was cutting it for the kids the skin cracked to form this mouth shape, so I made eyes too, the seeds were slimy though and really hard to stick in. It also didn't quite fit in the light box well enough, so I had to put it half in and half out and sat it on scrunched up material. I added the vignette to to make him stand out more.




Day 108 - Fennel taken in light box. I had also come across a new photo editing app - Photo Wizard, this one cost £2.99 but it's brilliant, has a lot of similar features to photoshop like masking and blending photos and lets you add formatted text.



Day 108 - Spinach, taken in light box. Frame added in Pixlr and text in Photi Wizard. I was thinking magazine advert here, but you can see the original photo without the frame in my light box post



Day 109 - The grand finale to my favourite week so far in the challenge




Looking back through my early posts I can really see how far I've come. I'm taking what I think are amazing photos and in January I would never have dreamed it possible.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment